Thursday, October 7, 2010

Hyland's Teething Tablets

I feel the need to further explain the Hyland's Teething Tablets comment and present both sides of the story as I have had a few e-mails/comments about the subject.  LO had a reaction to the tablets, I did some research and discovered an inactive ingredient of lactose which I thought was the issue.  My pediatrician thought it was weird that LO would have a reaction to one of the commonly used items for teething so she suggested an allergist as she thought LO had some crazy allergies.  The allergist acted like I had given my baby poison as the active ingredient is chamomile which is a high allergen--you learn something new everyday! Belladonna is also an active ingredient which is, "A poisonous Eurasian perennial herb (Atropa belladonna) having usually solitary, nodding, purplish-brown, bell-shaped flowers and glossy black berries. Also called deadly nightshade."

Hyland's Response to the Belladonna Question
"Actually, as a plant that grows in nature, Belladonna can be toxic when ingested in significant doses. Homeopathic Belladonna is not toxic. Because we use microdoses, and the original plant matter is highly diluted in the manufacturing process, it is very safe and non-toxic. In fact, if a child were to swallow an entire bottle at one time of Hyland’s Teething Tablets which contain homeopathic Belladonna, he or she would not experience any side effects."

Hyland's Response to the Lactose Question
No. The inactive ingredient in Hyland’s Teething Tablets, “Lactose N.F.” (stands for “National Formulary”), is a pharmaceutical grade lactose. While it is formulated from cow’s milk, it is completely purified of milk proteins, making it safe for lactose intolerant and dairy allergic people, including infants and children.
People who are lactose intolerant have not yet developed the enzymes to digest lactose. Our products contain about 64 milligrams of lactose (the sugar from cow’s milk - no protein is used) per tablet. While everyone is different, most lactose intolerant individuals need to ingest 5000 mg of lactose before they experience symptoms of intolerance. With this large margin of safety, there is rarely a problem with our products when being used as directed on the label. If your physician has determined that you are specifically “Allergic to Lactose”, you should avoid our tablets. If you are very concerned, seek the advice of a licensed health care professional before using this product.

All I know is that LO had a bad reaction to something in the tablets.  My doctor also mentioned that we should, "keep it chemical, not natural." Arrrrggggg, so confusing as usual.